The holiday decorations are all packed up and back in the basement, and a new year has begun. I hope you had a great December and are ready to get going on accomplishing your 2017 goals!
It's been wonderful having our daughter home for her first holiday break after starting college this past Fall. We have three other children at home, so it's a big, happy, full house and we've been soaking up every minute of it.
But voice-over work still calls, so here's a quick update on some of the happenings in December in my VO world:
- Found out I'll be starting on a new eLearning project for one of my clients. This one will be about Virtual Computing Animations.
- Continued work on my most recent audio book narration, titled The Blindfolded Marriage written by Jonathan Hoover.
- Continued "marketing in the margins" and secured two new potential clients, joined the VO team of an audio producer who does lots of work with a large audio course book company, and began discussions with a large corporate client about producing and hosting their internal company podcast. Working it!
- Uploaded 2 new podcast interviews over on iTunes - one with voice actor and amazing VO resource John Florian and the other with the incredible VO talent Jodi Krangle.
Lesson Learned: In the spirit of the New Year, I compiled a list of the most helpful lessons I learned from my podcast guests in 2016. I discuss this list in detail on my most recent podcast episode (so give it a listen!) but here are my Top 5:
1. Invest in yourself (I did and it paid off big time!)
2. Hang in there (None of my guests were overnight sensations)
3. Build and nurture relationships (Huge in this industry)
4. Grow clients - don't just chase jobs (Clients hire you again and again)
5. Focus on a few genres at a time (Don't overwhelm yourself)
Quotable Quote: “The key to success is action, and the essential in action is perseverance.”
- Sun Yat-Sen
Keep pursuing your dreams and I hope you achieve all of your 2107 goals!
All the best,Mike
Mike Lenz is an entrepreneur, professional voice actor, audio book narrator, author, podcast host, husband and father. His ebook, Paid To Talk, is available on amazon.com, his podcast, Mike Lenz Voice – A Journey Into Voice Acting, can be heard on iTunes, and his online course, 5 Steps To Start (and Grow) Your Voice-Over Career, can be found at vosuccess.com. Mike is passionate about sharing stories from amazing and inspiring people from all areas of the voice-over industry, as well as sharing his insights with aspiring voice actors around the world. Mike lives in Saratoga Springs, NY with his wife and 4 children.